14.7.14

French cuisine at home

Happy Monday everyone! Not really sure what's happy about a Monday, but for me, today was such a brilliant day. If I were in a Disney movie, today would have been those sunshine, birds singing and lead female character dancing through a meadow kinda days. A little strange I know, but hey, you got the picture didn't you? Now not only was today Monday, but it also happens to be Bastille Day, or better yet know as French National Day. So in celebration of this day I decided to make a typical French dish and seeing as it was yet another chilly day, I settled on French onion soup (recipe courtesy of Taste.com). 

Ingredients
60g butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 brown onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon od salt


Method:
1.   Heat the butter and olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and a 1 teaspoon salt.
2.   Cook, uncovered, stirring every few minutes, for about 45 to 50 minutes or until onions are nice and soft.
3.   Add the brown sugar and allow to cook, stirring every few minutes, for about 10 minutes or until onions are caramelised.
4.   Stir in the flour and allow to cook for roughly 2 minutes. Now add the beef stock and 2 cups water.

5.   Reduce the heat and allow to simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes so that flavours can combine properly.

I have to admit, I seriously surprised myself with this one. It's so delicious and turned out way better than I though it would. To top it off, it's one of the easiest soups I've made in a while. 

3 comments:

  1. I love French Onion soup, can't wait to try this recipe looks great! Who knew that yesterday was Bastille Day? And I just happened to make Moules Mariniere and posted the recipe on my blog! Random....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is pretty random, but maybe to some level you knew what day it was ;).

    Moules Mariniere, oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh I love French Onion Soup -but mostly for the cheesy crouton on top!

    ReplyDelete