2.6.14

Baklava - homemade style

This past Saturday we had a nice relaxed braai at the house. As usual we went all out and over catered slightly, as only we know how to do. There was a large selection of meats, some garlic bread, salad, roast veggies and dessert. When I heard we'd be having a braai, I felt the inspiration to bake, and I wanted it to be something I had never tried before. So naturally I turned to Baklava (as one does). 

This particular recipe was given to us by a Greek friend of the family's, so I thought it was going to be tricky, but it was so easy in the end. With this particular recipe I had my lovely friend Caryn (those nut chopping skills of hers...lol) helping me throw together this delicious treat. 

Ingredients

Baklava
½ kg filo pastry
½ cup butter
2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup walnuts
2 tbs castor sugar
1 tbs mixed cloves and cinnamon

Syrup
2 cups castor sugar
2 cups hot water
1 small piece of cinnamon
Rind of 1 lemon
2 tbs lemon juice



Method

Baklava
1. Preheat the oven to 180. 
2. Mix the nuts, sugar and spices together.
3. Grease the baking dish with butter. 
4. Lay down the first six sheets of filo pastry (brushing each with melted butter)
5. Sprinkle all the nuts over the last (sixth) layer of filo pastry. 
6. Lay down the remaining six sheets, once again brushing each with melted butter. 
7. Place the baking dish in the oven and allow to bake for 30 minutes. 

Syrup
1. Stir together the sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and allow to boil for 15 minutes or until thickened. 
3. Once thickened, remove from the heat and allow to cool. 
4. Once it's cooled down pour it over the Baklava and serve. Be sure to remove the piece of cinnamon and lemon rind.

*My advice with this recipe is that you double the syrup ingredients.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! It looks good! I don't think I've ever tasted Baklava...
    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that has to be rectified...lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Gosh, I am super impressed that you made Baklava! It always seems to complicated and intimidating, but this recipe actually looks manageable :)

    kstormfashionblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, but like you said the recipe looks manageable and it was exactly that. It's by far the easiest recipe I've ever tried.

      Delete