28.10.13

I baked a lemon meringue

Lately I've had a real need to bake but because everything has just been so crazy busy I haven't really gotten around to it. So this past weekend I finally got to bake and because it's been such lovely summer weather I decided what would be better, well Lemon Meringue of course. 

Ingredients
250ml flour
5ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
60ml margarine
1 egg yolk
60ml iced water
125 ml lemon juice
1 tin condensed milk
2 eggs (separated)
Lemon zest
45ml castor sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 220° C.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Work the butter in until mixture is thoroughly blended.

Beat the egg yolk and 45ml of iced water until pastry is perfectly mixed. 

Press firmly onto the bottom of greased dish and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down.

For the tart, preheat the oven to 160° C.


Add the lemon juice and condensed milk together and mix until thick and creamy. Beat in the egg yolks, salt and lemon zest into the condensed milk mixture. 

Spoon the mixture over the pastry and bake for 20 minutes.

Beat the egg whites until stiff, adding the castor sugar one spoonful at a time. 

Remove the tart from the oven. Spoon the meringue over the filling and bake for an additional 20 minutes. 


Admittedly my pastry didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it but the rest of the dish is amazing. All this means is I'll have to bake again real soon to rectify the situation.

4 comments:

  1. i haven't baked anything in so long that i am craving it! haha, and that looks great i might try it!

    nenaath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When I don't bake for a really long time it's like I start having withdrawal. lol

      Delete
  2. Oh yum, I love lemon meringue and this looks delicious, I might have to try it out, as I've never made one for myself.

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never made it before and it wasn't my best baking session but for a first attempt it wasn't half bad if I do say so myself.

      Delete